Learn more about our Fear Free practices!
learn more

July 4 Pet SafetyCommon 4th of July Hazards:

  • Alcohol- in any form is toxic to pets. Signs of intoxication: drooling, bloat, vomiting, increased heart rate, decreased blood pressure, collapse, hypothermia, coma, seizures, respiratory failure, or death.
  • Table scraps- a sudden change in diet can lead to GI upset (vomiting/diarrhea)
  • Insect repellent and sunblock- no human repellents or sunblock should be applied to pets unless stated on the bottle that it is safe for pets. These can cause vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy. DEET is a common insecticide used that causes neurological issues when used on pets.
  • Matches and lighter fluid- these should not be used around pets. If matches are ingested they can cause difficulty breathing, damage to the red blood cells, and kidney disease. Lighter fluid can cause skin irritation, GI problems, and respiratory problems.
  • Citronella candles- inhalation of fumes can cause severe respiratory illness (pneumonia), ingestion is harmful to the central nervous system.
  • At home fireworks- to curious pets at home fireworks can be very dangerous. Pets can get severe burns and/or trauma. Some fireworks contain heavy metals such as potassium nitrate, arsenic, etc.

Ways to Cope with a Fearful Pet

  • All pets should be kept indoors to avoid hazards. (When fearful, can potentially leap fences, break through leashes, etc.)
  • Keep pet in a small, cozy, quiet room away from windows if possible
  • Lower all blinds in room where animal is kept
  • If your pet is crate trained, put the crate in a quiet room away from windows and cover with towel/blanket.
  • Turn on tv/music Calmly talk and pet animal

Canine influenza virus (CIV) causes a respiratory infection in dogs that is often referred to as canine influenza or "dog flu."

Canine Influenza's History

The virus was first isolated in Florida in 2004 at a Greyhound racing facility. Since then, the virus has been confirmed in dogs across 40 states and the District of Columbia. Since it is a relatively new virus, almost all dogs are susceptible to infection when they are newly exposed because they have not built up natural immunity.

Dog Puppet Shows Canine Influenza X-raysSymptoms of Dog Flu

Most infected dogs show only mild symptoms, but some dogs become very sick and require veterinary treatment. Most common clinical signs include:

  • lethargy
  • anorexia
  • low-grade fever
  • nasal discharge
  • cough

Dogs with more severe disease can present with a high fever and pneumonia.

What You Need to Know and Do

  • CIV is not the same as Bordetella and Bordetella is not the only pathogen that causes kennel cough.

  • Canine influenza is highly infectious and the virus spreads very quickly from dog to dog.

  • Canine influenza virus can be spread by direct contact with respiratory discharge from infected dogs, through the air via a cough, bark, or sneeze, and by contact with contaminated objects such as dog bowls and clothing.

Pet Health Hazards - Your pet will eat anything!Dogs and cats will eat almost anything. Whether out of boredom, anxiety, or simple curiosity, pets often ingest objects that may be hazardous to their health, including non-food items such as objects and poisonous substances.

Here are some items that you should keep out of your pet's reach to keep them safe and healthy

Grapes and Raisins — Grapes and raisins (dried grapes) can cause kidney failure in dogs. The exact substance in grapes and raisins that causes the reaction has not been identified yet, so it is difficult to predict how many grapes or raisins will harm your pet.

Macadamia Nuts — Like grapes, what is toxic about macadamia nuts is unknown, but the nuts can cause neurologic signs in dogs such as tremors, weakness, and lack of coordination. The good news is that when pets receive prompt emergency care, which includes administration of IV fluids, the prognosis is excellent.

Chocolate — Chocolate in sufficient quantity is poisonous to cats and dogs. The main toxins in chocolate are caffeine and theobromine, both of which can cause cardiac arrhythmias and seizures. Treatment involves eliminating the toxin from the pet's body and providing treatment to stabilize the heartbeat and minimize seizures.

Garlic and Onions — Garlic and onions cause a pet’s red blood cells to burst, which can lead to anemia. When a pet eats garlic or onions, the pet may need supportive care, including a blood transfusion in some cases.

Pennies — If a pet swallows a penny, stomach acids start to digest the penny, releasing the zinc in the penny. When absorbed, zinc can be highly toxic. Often, the penny will stay in the stomach and must be removed by a veterinarian. Veterinarians can usually take it out with an endoscope to avoid surgery and then treat the pet for anemia, if necessary.

Lilies — For cats, lilies are highly toxic and life-threatening plants from their stems to their flowers. The toxins in lilies can cause kidney failure within 30 minutes to 48 hours of a cat swallowing part of a lily. Although there is no antidote, early supportive care — especially within six hours of ingestion — can help a pet recover.